Ben Norris is a poet, a playwright and an actor, currently based in Birmingham, UK.
Amongst other things, he has recently:
- written and directed a play, Method, which ran at the University of Birmingham from 6-8th December 2013
- developed a solo show for Lit Fuse and Capital Theatre Festival
- become 2013 UK All Stars Poetry Slam champion
- appeared in various publications, including Redbrick, The Journal, and TwoWordsFor
- won the poetry prize for his contribution to the University of Birmingham’s Creative Writing Anthology
- represented Birmingham in the UK Team Poetry Slam, an Apples and Snakes national team at Bristol Poetry Festival, and the University of Birmingham in slams against the universities of Edinburgh and Cambridge, and in the inaugural UniSlam!
- won individual slams at the Cheltenham Poetry Festival, Lydney Festival, and Ledbury Poetry Festival (all 2013), and finished runner up in the 2013 Roundhouse Poetry Slam
He is also the Literary Events Officer for Writers’ Bloc, the University of Birmingham’s Creative Writing Society, and runs and hosts two poetry nights in the city: Scribble Kicks, a night of page poetry and prose readings, and Grizzly Pear, a raucous performance poetry extravaganza. Currently both events happen once termly. In addition to these, Ben organises less regular but no less spectacular inter-University poetry slams, including UniSlam!, the UK’s first ever inter-university national poetry slam championships, which took place on the UoB campus on Sunday 27th October 2013.
Alongside writing and performing poetry individually, Ben collaborates with guitarist James Grady in a music and spoken-word band. Listen to their stuff here.